Pre Ride Preparation
FRIDAY MAY 10, 2013 Arrival – Manhattan Beach!
Ride to Manhattan Beach on cruisers than to Venice Beach & Santa Monica Pier. Ran into Tina Turner on Santa Monica Pier. Lunch with Keely, KY’s fav; Hennessey’s for ice hockey; fine Italian dining @ Magiano & then KY’s birthday dance. Back to Hennessey’s for hour of power with tall people! Best sign at Venice Beach goes to the guy who had “Kick me in the nuts for 10 bucks”
3. KT’s phone rampage
2. Russ riding a cruiser with compromised handlebars
1. KY happy 50th plus 1 day
SATURDAY MAY 11, 2013 Manhattan Beach
Bus tour of LA. More dodginess on Venice Beach. Mugged by money-hungry comedians and artists Hollywood Boulevard. Parkin over-rated. Joe getting upset with the driver talking about differing gas/petrol prices. The bus driver promised that in the market there would be food from all over the world, no meat pies. Panchos for shared dinner experience (10 second rule) & band. 90% of photos wiped that night.
3. Sam jumping into Joey’s bed! Awarded the rainbow jersey.
2. Dr Hilton – leaving specs at Mangianos the night before only to find them being used by the proprietor.
1. Rob – Walk of shame on flight over – was found in economy, not first class, well overdressed
1. KT – suited up on plane in first class & enjoying Rob’s walk of shame
1. Russ – 2 phones & excessive tipping
1. KY – sleepwalking in underwear on 1st night
1. Joey – for his issue with the bus driver regarding gasoline pricing.
1. Ryan & Jen for only drinking one beer & took all day to fit the roof racks.
The Cannondale DuVine Tour
DAY ONE / SUNDAY MAY 12, 2013 Welcome to California!
Your guides will greet you in Los Angeles and the cycling adventure of a lifetime
begins! We’ll shuttle to Oceanside, CA for a light snack and coffee before being fit to our Cannondale bikes. Hitting the road, we’ll loosen up our legs with a ride inland to Escondido, the TOC’s official start. We’ll catch all the action as the racers compete for Stage One glory and the first leader’s jersey of the race. After the race, we’ll refresh ourselves at the Welk Resort before celebrating the start of our tour with a delicious California dinner.
Meals: Lunch / Dinner
Destinations: Los Angeles, Oceanside, Escondido
Accomplished: 64.10 km, 549 metres climbing, 34.1C average temp
Votes (for early AM activities)
3. KT falls out of the taxi after Panchos cuts his neck.
3. KY riding the vocation and redecorating the bathroom at the Belmar.
2. Rob questioned whether he was the only one drinking alcohol.
2. Russ gets lost in the hallway whilst looking for the bathroom.
1. Dr. Hilton – for trying to convince all he was acting sensible at Panchos. The band told him to stop yelling “Freebird!”
1. The band at Panchos playing “Just what I needed” by the Cars we were leaving making us stay for another dozen gin & tonics. Also, the band played plenty of Aussie classics for us.
Additional votes for Day 1
3. Russ & Sam for getting into the bus on 1st day due to not coping with the massive hangover (that everyone had!)
2. KT for telling Katie that he looked after us all & made sure we got home safely from Panchos whilst still icing his face. (refer to photos in regard to his intelligence level)
1. Rob taking the race against kids on fixies way too seriously at the stage end in Escondido. Lesson for kids – do not poke a bear!
Votes for Day 2
3. Sam picking up used porno on the side of the road on Mt Palomar.
2. The Captain for actually noticing there was a porno on the side of the road. Also for the comment “Who buys pornos now? There is everything you need on the net!”
1. Rob almost taking out Stefano, our Cannondale pro, on the 1st descent.
1. Sammy wore his coveted white shirt, with no result.
1. Teamcnut – star chasing at Palm Springs, with team manager, Rory, Stefano, Peter Sagan and his brother, and drinking beers in the Cannondale bus.
1. KT – And on the road losing time in the GC after a very poor performance on Mt Palomar with KY (full time athlete these days & finding a purple patch on the day) riding painfully away.
DAY THREE / TUESDAY MAY 14, 2013
Los Padres National Forest
Today we’ll transfer to Santa Clarita and ride around the Los Padres National Forest, haven to hundreds of plant and animal species, including the California Condor. With any luck, we’ll catch a glimpse of these majestic creatures on our ride. Even if we don’t, we’ll have over 3,500 feet of climbing on this undulating route to keep us busy. Complete support from the van will ensure we are always topped off with cold water and snacks to keep us strong throughout the stunning 50-mile ride that culminates with another delicious picnic before an amazing descent to Castaic Lake. After transferring to our seaside Bacara Resort in Santa Barbara, we’ll take some time to put our legs up before another outstanding meal.
Meals: Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner
Destinations: Santa Clarita, Los Padres National Forest, Santa Barbara
Accomplished: 86.98km. 1,365 meters climbing, 35.1C average temp
Votes for Day 3
3. Ryan is clueless about direction & hopelessly reversing (jack-knifing trailer) on top of the mountain.
2. KY for crap bike coaching, according to the Doctor, and for screaming “Get off the road!!” inciting local swamp donkeys in sledding poor little Joe & Russ.
1. Jen for cramping and wearing the tutu.
1. Rob for pissing in the van.
1. KT for descending at high speed on the wrong side of the road – again! Also for restoring natural world order and smashing KY. Quote of the day: Lady in lemon dress at sprint stage “ Remember my name as y’all be screaming it later!”
DAY FOUR / WEDNESDAY MAY 15, 2013
Into the Santa Ynez Mountains
Wake up this morning in the picturesque American Riviera and ride along the coastline before heading into the towering Santa Ynez mountains. This range serves as a stunning backdrop to one of the country’s most beautiful cities and offers cyclists a chance to test their climbing legs. We’ll pedal the intense Gibraltar Grade (5 km, 8.2%) and cover many of the same training routes that American pro teams use to tune their form during early season base-period training camps. After an incredible ride, you may choose to indulge in a well-deserved massage before exploring downtown Santa Barbara while soaking in the coastal sun and ocean views. We’ll enjoy an outrageously satisfying and replenishing meal together tonight in town.
Meals: Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner
Destinations: Santa Barbara, Santa Ynez Mountains
Accomplished: 68.91 km. 1,788 metres climbing, 24.7C average temp
Votes for Day 4
3. Doctor’s obscene nudity encouraging (scaring) all of us climbing Gibraltar – wins Rainbow tutu.
2. Russ – big jocks for having really big balls, doing bulk of the work on the road & fast descending.
2. Doctor wins mani pedi award for insane vanity…….self professed “straightest gay bloke ever”.
1. Sam mistaking the pacific for the Mediterranean.
1. KY for asking Cookey from GreenEdge his Kit Kat strike rate in California.
1. KT for his pitiful performance of not going under water in the ocean.
1. Jen wins the Rainbow jersey for driving into trees losing The Captain’s Cateye in the process.
1. Joe for organising Tour of California in conjunction with his 15 year anniversary – Doh!
DAY FIVE / THURSDAY MAY 16, 2013 California’s Central Coast
We’ll transfer north this morning to the quaint town of Santa Ynez in the heart
of California’s Central Coast, a renowned wine-growing region. From here you’ll cycle through beautiful vineyards and serene ranchlands out toward the agricultural community of Santa Maria, stopping en route to sample some of the State’s finest Chardonnay and Pinot Noir varietals before catching the pros race past en route to Pismo Beach. We’ll then take a transfer to San Francisco and rest our legs at the Argonaut Hotel. We deserve it. Tonight we’ll celebrate with a farewell dinner together out on the town.
Meals: Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner
Destinations: Santa Ynez, Los Olivos, Foxen Canyon, Santa Maria, San Francisco
Accomplished: 53.9km. 592 metres climbing, 24.3C average temp
Votes for Day 5
3. Joe – madman carrying stick with shirt off intimidating cyclists – awarded tutu.
2. Russ – “gravity always wins” – rainbow jersey.
1. Doctor’s shocking playlist……….wtf was that playlist?
1. Sammy to the front & then BOOM!……or POP!
1. KT strong man 10 mile pull to Riverbench Winery for lunch – awarded big jocks.
1. Joey at Riverbench after acting intelligent with the girl serving the wines, walked out and said “would you do her?” with her in voice shot.
1. Pilots too much sleeping on the bus. As soon as there is any motion they get a semi, don’t declare and then sleep.
Arrive San Francisco after extended road trip. Checked in at the Argonout. The Slanted Door for Asian Fusion (is there such a thing?) and said goodbyes to Ryan & Jen.
DAY SIX / FRIDAY MAY 17, 2013 Goodbye to California.... NO ONE MORE DAY, Knackers!
After breakfast, we’ll cap off a spectacular week with one last amazing ride across the iconic Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito and the Marin Headlands before returning to the city by the bay – a truly quintessential experience. Once back in San Francisco, your guides will bid you farewell and you’ll have time to explore the splendor of this incredible city.
Destinations: San Francisco, Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito
Accomplished: 91.82km. 1,546 metres climbing, 23.1C average temp
Votes for Day 6
3. Sammy – for extending his opening hours the night before, to see the sights, check comfort of local benches before somehow arriving home at 4am.
2. KY – for taking the pro level Cannondale EVO off road in Marin County. Why? – it is the home of mountain biking. And for sneaky hill points in front of KT at base of Golden Gate Bridge.
1. The Pilots for actually once hanging back to assist The Captain
1. The Captain – last ride for the trip, and he made the tough climb! And for stealing KY’s wallet, not telling him.
DAY SEVEN / SATURDAY MAY 18, 2013 MT DIABLO Queen Stage Tour of California!
After breakfast, we’ll do the big one – Mt Diablo. More fucking climbing.
Destinations: Livermore to Mt Diablo summit and return
Accomplished: 65.69km. 1,112 metres climbing, 28.2C average temp
Votes for Day 7
3. KT – wheel-sucking all the way to Diablo. There were 2 teams on the road that day!
2. Russ – very early KABOOM! The pace was hot though.
1. Doctor’s no-show on the road. Too much Facetime activity
Total distance accomplished this week: 495.18 km
Total climbing accomplished this week: 8,099 meters
Average temperature this week : 29.2C
Post-Ride Warm Down, SUNDAY MAY 19,2013, San Francisco
3. Rob – early departure after breakfast – no excuses!
2. Teamcnut for taking no interest in the final stage of the Tour of California.
1. KY – introducing breaded barman to our theme song “Sex with a bearded man” by the Beards and making him play Aussie music at the California Wine Bar.
Sightseeing highlights: Bay to Breakers crew post run (another excuse for a piss up), Cable car tour for retail therapy, stop at crookedest Street, Izzy’s steakhouse for dinner with Katie
MONDAY MAY 20,2013, San Francisco
3. Alcatraz by tour boat. Audio guide brilliant!
2. Clam House for lunch at Pier 39. Entree oyster shooters, followed by 2 litres of wine. More crab in various forms after that.
1. Baseball Giants smashing National 8 to 0 at a T & T Stadium. Momo’s for warm up followed by local pub crawl.
TUESDAY MAY 21,2013, San Francisco depart
3. KT – home via Sydney – outrageous class warefare!
2. Golden Gate Park – hired bikes & rode down to a very windy Pacific Ocean. Dodgy Indian food at the park.
1. Final round at Knuckle’s Bar. A couple of ‘free’ SF Coors Light glasses straight into our bags.
Airport transfer pickup at 5 pm for the “Hell ride” San Fran / LA / Melb.